Quality Inn Hotel Cruise Port Hotel Fort Lauderdale Hotels Hotel Near Stadium Hotel Near Hollywood Beach Hollywood Florida Points Of Interest
Get The Lowest Available Rates - Book Direct and Save!

Quality Inn & Suites Blog


How to Keep Your Passport Safe on Your Travels

Nicole Richards

0 of 0 votes

Travel Tips 101

How to keep your passport safe on you travels?

At Rodeway Inn & Suites hotel near Fort Lauderdale Airport, I see many travelers come and go.  Everyone hopes their travels abroad will be fun and incident free.  Sadly it is not always true.  Many travelers go on trips abroad or on cruises and go through the nightmare of losing their passport…or worse getting their passports stolen! 

 I share these same tips with our guests here at Rodeway Inn & Suites Cruise Port Hotel near Port Everglades Terminal before they leave for their cruises and they always return back safely, happy, and with their passports.  

1) Always make extra (3) colored copies of your passport!  Pack an extra set of passports photos along with your passport’s information page to make replacement of your passport easier in the event that it is stolen or lost.  Put one in every piece of luggage you brought on the cruise ship or on your travels.  This is assuming that you brought 3 pieces of luggage, print as many as you need.  I would even go as far and say to scan your passport and send the image to your email.  This way, if all your copies go missing, you at least can access your passport through a computer or smart phone that receives email in serious cases.  

2) Keep the real passport (and other valuables) in a locked safe in your hotel room. That is where they are most secure.  If you must carry the passport with you, put these valuables in different places rather than all in one place such as a wallet or pouch.  Avoid handbags, fanny packs and outside pockets that are easy targets for thieves. Inside pockets and a sturdy shoulder bag with the strap worn across your chest are somewhat safer. One of the safest places to carry valuables is in a pouch or money belt worn under your clothing.

To return back to the U.S. a stolen or lost passport but be replaced for you to enter back into the country.  Happily, most problems can be solved over the phone or with a visit to the Consular Section of the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

If you are notified by a relative or friend traveling abroad that his/her U.S. passport has been lost/stolen, you may wish to contact the Office of Overseas Citizens Services, U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C, at 1-888-407-4747. That office will be able to help you put your friend or loved one in touch with the closest U.S. embassy or consulate. Your relative/friend must apply in person for a new passport at the U.S. embassy or consulate.


Send to friend
Share on Google+
Share on Pinterest